I’ve tried to collect information about this difference through all the internet and summarize it in this article.
“Dizziness” is a general term related to uncomfortable sensation of inner confusion. Dizziness includes vertigo as well as other common disorienting conditions.
“Vertigo”, on the other hand, is a kind or symptom of dizziness. It is characterized by feeling of spinning world around you. In US every 2 of 5 people are suffering from vertigo at least once.
- The word dizziness is using when people are talking about a variety of symptoms, including:
- Vertigo (a feeling of whirling without any movement).
- Unsteadiness (sensation of broken balance while standing or walking). Another name is disequilibrium.
- Lightheadedness is a term using to describe the feeling when you about to faint. Main causes usually are heart problem or low blood pressure.
- Dizziness caused by breathing too rapidly (hyperventilation) or anxiety.
It’s very important to understand what you mean when saying “I feel dizzy!” The reason is distinction in types of possible treatments. With such complaints as dizziness, the symptom is vertigo only about half of the time.
All of the doctors in US and other countries attribute dizziness and vertigo to several causes, including ear infections, motion sickness and strokes. With so many causes, there are also a wide variety of treatment options available – none of which, sadly, have been found to cure the condition completely.
According to many doctors out there, there are two main reasons underlying the vertigo, as well as all the other dizziness conditions. They are:
- Lack of oxygen reaching the brain.
- When your brain has a lack of oxygen, there are certain signals to all body functions to “put” you in a horizontal position. In that way your brain will get more blood with enough amount of oxygen.
- Tension in the muscles supporting the head.
- When there is a situation when your head isn’t locate straight over the neck as it should be, additional tension occurs in the muscles such as jaw. Then, these muscles are trying to overlay or compensate that imbalance. The results could be related with further problems of balance system of eyes and ears.
Here you can find treatment program which based on tension in the muscles.
To conclude, I think these two causes need to be taken into consideration when you planning your treatment. I mean that exercises that deliver more oxygen to your brain and correcting your head position is a good start in developing your treatment plan.